How do I get forklift certified?
Forklift certification can vary depending on who is providing the training and the type of forklift that is being operated. OSHA requires forklift operators to be certified before operating one. Typically, the employer is responsible for all forklift operators to be trained and certified through approved OSHA training classes.
Where can I get forklift training?
Online training options to receive your forklift certification do not fully meet OSHA guidelines. Typically, your employer is responsible for providing training and certifications to their employees. However, not all employers provide the training themselves. If you need to get forklift certified, Naumann/Hobbs offers forklift training programs. Learn more.
How long does forklift training take?
Depending on your training program and your level of experience, forklift training and certification can take between 3 to 5 days to complete.
Is online forklift training legitimate?
Yes, but OSHA regulations require a certain amount of hands-on experience in order to be compliant. An online-only course would not satisfy the full regulations OSHA has set in place for forklift training.
How many different types of forklifts are there?
There are several types of forklifts depending on where you’re working.
- Industrial Reach Forklift: Renowned for their extended lift height, these are ideal for any warehouse with high rise storage pallet racking.
- Industrial Counterbalance Forklifts: These are the most commonly used forklifts for indoor warehouses and stores. The dual forks are located at the front of the truck to lift and transport loads.
- Rough Terrain Forklifts: These are ideal for outdoor construction or any work site with difficult terrain. With thicker treads on the tires, these allow for stability on uneven ground and are usually more robust and durable.
- Industrial Side Loader Forklifts: If you’re working with narrow aisles, a side loader forklift might be ideal for you. These forklifts feature forks that are mounted to the side of the truck and can pick up wide or long loads that would otherwise be inaccessible with a straight forward forklift.
- Telescopic Handler Forklifts: These forklifts are ideal for use in industries that require high lifting. With features that make them useful in a range of situations, these are sometimes considered more like small cranes, rather than forklift trucks.
- Pedestrian Operated Pallet Trucks: All pedestrian operated trucks have forks that slide beneath the pallet and use a hydraulic jack to lift the load from the ground. These types of lift trucks are most commonly used in warehouses and storage facilities for easy transportation of pallets.
- Automated Guided Forklifts: Automated guided forklifts are forklifts that don’t require a driver, allowing the operator to perform other tasks. While these types of lifts don’t require a driver, they do require an extensive plan and layout that can accommodate the technology required to operate the lift.
What is a cherry picker forklift?
A cherry picker forklift (also referred to as a telescopic handler forklift, boom lift, man lift, basket crane, or hydraladder) is a hydraulic crane with a railed platform at the end for raising and lowering people. These types of lifts are typically used in building construction and remodeling but are sometimes used in installation, maintenance, and repair of anything at elevated heights.
What kind of suspension does a forklift have?
Most forklifts have a three-point suspension system: the two front wheels and the pivot point of the rear axle. These three points form a stability triangle, which is the center of gravity and support for the forklift. Any time the center of gravity for the forklift shifts outside of the stability triangle, the lift will tip over.
What is the most common type of forklift?
The most common type of forklift is the counterbalance forklift. These are typically found in indoor warehouses and stores, with dual forks at the front of the lift. While mostly used indoors, these lifts can be used outdoors on stable, even surfaces.
How much does a forklift weigh?
The average forklift weighs around 9,000 pounds. For some perspective, the average car weighs around 3,000 pounds.
What are the best forklift brands?
The best brand for your warehouse depends on your needs. We carry a variety of forklift brands that can help you meet your bottom line. Don’t know which brand would be best for your business? Our knowledgeable sales team can help you get started.
How do I calculate the storage capacity of my warehouse?
There are several other factors to consider when calculating these volumes, like what types of storage racks are being used, is there honeycombing in the warehouse, pallet flow, drive-in racks, carousels, or vertical lift modules.
Not sure where to get started? We can help you organize your warehouse for efficiency.
How do conveyor systems work?
Conveyor systems work by using two pulleys that continually loop over the material that rotates over them, produced by a procession of hooks, gears, buckets, and a wide rubber belt. Conveyors are considered an important part of industries where fast handling of packaging and shipments is a must.
How do I design a warehouse floor plan?
Creating a warehouse floor plan offers you a blank slate to transform your warehouse into a productive workspace that will help you meet your business goals. The knowledgeable sales staff at Naumann/Hobbs can help you configure your warehouse floorplan to perfectly suit your needs.
How should I label my warehouse racking?
Your warehouse racking should be organized to best suit your business needs. This will differ among different organizations. Naumann/Hobbs can help label your warehouse racking to suit your needs.
How do I drive a forklift?
It is important to note that every forklift is operated differently depending on the type of lift. Not all forklifts will operate under the same instructions and drivers MUST ALWAYS be certified to operate a forklift. Some basic safety tips when it comes to driving a forklift include:
- Inspect your forklift for any issues, fuel, or repairs that the lift may need
- Never leave your forklift unattended
- Know the forklift’s capacity and do not exceed it
- Adhere to work-site rules and regulations
- Be alert and attentive to your environment at all times
- Avoid hazards such as a wet floor or small scattered
- Always wear your seatbelt
- Never allow unauthorized people to drive the forklift
- Use your horn to alert others you’re coming when passing through busy areas or intersections
Have more forklift driving questions? Give us a call at (866) 266-2244 and we’ll answer any questions you may have.